Southeastern Railway operates one of the largest and most complex rail franchises in the UK. Its network covers over 170 stations from which around 500,000 passenger journeys are made each day.
Our task was to source two interim managers, each of whom would manage a Change Programme. One manager would focus on Passenger Satisfaction, the other on Train Performance. The current performance shortfalls dictated that we needed to work very closely with the Change Director to deliver an effective, fast-track resourcing solution.
At an early stage it was recognised that the team did not necessarily have to come from a rail background. With strong networks in the local government, retail, rail and airline industries, we looked for five key attributes when selecting suitable candidates:
- Ability to develop and deliver solutions in a complex multi-disciplined environment
- Customer-facing experience with a strong operational background
- Change and performance improvement expertise
- Commercial acumen including supplier management
- Relationship building and influencing capability
- The ability to plan and deliver complex programmes was a given.
We sourced a range of potential candidates with diverse experience gained in both rail and unrelated industries. A long list was presented to the client for their consideration.
Successful delivery of targets in the early/mid stages of the assignment resulted in both interims being extended: They each successfully delivered their goals with the net result that Train and Passenger Performance Survey results improved.Back to Our Work